The Australia Day Council of South Australia
Elder Park, Adelaide
22-26 January 2022
8:30 pm to 11:30 pm
In a first for Australia Day, Aus Lights on the River brought a stunning immersion of light, sound and vision to Elder Park (Tarntanya Wama).
The spectacular was held over five consecutive nights from Saturday 22 January until Wednesday 26 January, each night from 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm.
The beautiful precinct featured projections on to the Festival Centre roof shells, the river and trees along the banks, the rotunda and illuminart’s AirLume.
Aus Lights on the River was the centrepiece of the free Australia Day 2022 program, presented by the Australia Day Council of South Australia (ADCSA). Illuminart Australia worked alongside the Australia Day Council SA, Campfire, Novatech and other suppliers to bring the event to life, and we are proud to have involved artists and creatives from regional areas in the creation of digital art appearing around the site.
Key features of the illuminart contributions included:
- presentation of Flocking Together, a bushfire recovery artwork made with the Lobethal community and commissioned by Fabrik
- First ever presentation of AirLume in Adelaide, South Australia – supported by Epson Australia
- Artwork and Animation on sites including the Rotunda Lantern, Festival Centre shells, Waterscreen, Trees.
Thank you to Epson Australia for your support of AirLume.
Click to see details of Auslights 2023 and stay tuned for details of Auslights 2024!
- Cindi Drennan (Artistic Director) Concept / Creative / Projection Design
- Alice Peacock (Art Director) 3D Animation, Creative Management
- Luke ‘Zero’ Shaw (Art Dept Manager) Animation, Compositing, Projection Mapping
- Susanne Wegener (Artist / Animator) Illustration, Animation
- Craig Laurendet (Installation Architect) AirLume Sculpture, Projection Mapping
- Mark Leacy (Tech Dept Manager) Technical Team Management
- Verity Brookes (Chief Operating Officer) Project Coordination
- Andy Petrusevics (Animator) Story Animation
- Andy McIntyre (Technical Production) Technical Production
- Samantha Ray (Community Engagement) Project Support
- Sam Chamberlain (Technical Support) Rigging and Technical Support
- Lavene Ngatokorua Curating Support
illuminart Creative Collaborators
Belinda Broughton – Poet/Narrator (Flocking Together)
Anne Griffiths – Project Facilitator (Flocking Together)
Lobethal and Woodside Children – Creative Contributors (Flocking Together)
Matthew Frost (infusion Photography) – Macro Photography
Barb Walker – Wildflower Photography
Raffi Kojian (Gardenology Org) – Plant Photography
Karl Telfer (Yellaka) – Creative Contributor
Lavene Ngatokorua – Project Facilitator (Art Showcase)
Stu Nankivell (Blue Goanna Digital) – Creative Contributor
Aaron Welch (Red Bird Creative) – Creative Contributor
Solid Air – Technical Support
Ben Phillips (Ben FX) – Technical Support, Show Support Crew, Technical Support
EPSON Australia – Projection Ambassador Support
Campfire Collaborators and Supporters
Sam Wark – Creative Director
Lisa Browne – Producer
Miles Rowland / Jake Cooper – Studio Cinematography
Sam Matthews – Edit / Colour Grade
Wilson Tran – Editor / Data Wrangling
Alice Yang – Editor
Scott Illingworth – Sound Engineer
Nic Datson – Lighting / Gaffer
Thank you to artists from Umeewarra network who were part of the Naidoc2K20 project who agreed to exhibit at Aus Lights.
Pauline Crombie : Sandhill Country, Untitled
Regina McKenzie : Arkarru
Charmaine Wilson : NAIDOC
Jennifer Reid : Creeks APY lands
Linda Dare : Rain Wind and Fire, Goorranya (Rainbow)
Inkjata : Community, Flamingos, Honey Ants
Rehanna Coulthard : Mudlarpin
Regina McKenzie and granddaughters Ngarlaa, Ngayan and Ngintaka Donovan : Family painting
Jonas Dare : Triptych Barlarri, Barlarri Seven Sisters
Jasmine Brown : Coming Together
Aaron Reid : Gawler Ranges Rock Holes, Untitled, Country
illuminart Technical Collaborators
Projectors and AV equipment (except AirLume): Novatech Creative Event Technology
Projection Towers: Nexstage
Power on site: Apollo Lighting
Event support: Eventwise
In the Media
For more information about the AusLights program visit:
Australia Day Council Link: https://australiadaysa.com.au/pages/australia-day-program-2022
CX Network Story: https://www.cxnetwork.com.au/aus-lights-on-the-river/
To see a full sized copy of the map, click the image at left.
Project ID # 1297Project Type:
Technical Insights: Find out more from this CX website article by Ashley Gabriel.