August and September 2019
Projection Art Odyssey
illuminart and partners
Coastal townships and connected regions, South Australia
TRAVELLING LIGHT: illuminart will be roving regional South Australia in a unique odyssey, in a vehicle specially equipped with high powered projectors…. touring over 2000 kilometres to share projection art storytelling with South Australians.
Residents will be astounded to see their Silos, Town halls or big walls lit and writ large for a single night, with bold colourful artwork and stories collected over years of preparation for this touring production, in shows crafted especially for each event.
Celebrate the South Australian Living Artists Festival, rug up and enjoy a special winter event: TRAVELLING LIGHT will be coming to a town near you.
WHERE CAN YOU SEE TRAVELLING LIGHT?
The tour is being presented and promoted during the South Australian Living Artists festival (SALA). During the tour we will present a stunning projection show that changes in each location and grows along the way, connecting people and places, Ports and trade routes.
Please note that the tour dates are STILL BEING FINALISED! The MAP below will turn GREEN when everything is final. Almost there… we have a couple of places left to confirm!
There will be over 15 stops along the route, where a landmark will be illuminated by projection stories traded across South Australia, and artwork contributed to be ‘blown up’ as large as possible. Some places have also booked ahead and arranged for a workshop to be held or a story to be created especially. If your town are interested in hosting illuminart’s Travelling Light project, contact us.
The tour so far:
Confirmed Places (Dates still in progress, Bold is absolutely locked in)
- Friday 2nd August 6pm-7:30pm – Port Pirie – Silos (view from Flinders View Park)
- Saturday 3rd August 6pm-7:30pm- Minlaton – Town Hall
- Sunday 4th August 6pm-7:30pm – Booleroo Centre – Silos (South side, facing swimming pool)
- Monday 5th August 6pm-7:30pm – Cowell – Silos (viewing area TBC)
- Tuesday 6th August 6pm-7:30pm – Elliston – Silos (viewing area TBC)
- Thursday 8th August 6pm-7:30pm – Ceduna – Silos (viewing area TBC)
- Friday 9th August 6pm-7:30pm- Streaky Bay – Institute – Exterior facade of the Institute Building on Alfred Terrace
- Saturday 10th August 6pm-7:30pm- Whaylla– Ship – Whyalla Visitor Information Centre & Maritime Centre
- Friday 16th August 6pm-7:30pm – Wallaroo – Silos (from the Wharf side)
- Saturday 17th August 6pm-7:30pm – Quorn – Silos from park area next to Pichi Richi Train Station
- Sunday 18th August 6pm-7:30pm – Port Augusta – Yarta Purtli facade, Gladstone Square
- Friday 23rd August 6pm-7:30pm – Mount Gambier – Railways Park (site TBC)
- Sunday 25th August 6pm-7:30pm – Goolwa – Wharf building – Spirit Australia Cruise Centre
- Wednesday 28th August 6pm-7:30pm – Cape Jervis – TBC
- Friday 30th August 6:30pm – City of Onkaparinga – Aldinga Uniting Church
- 27th – 29th September Port Adelaide – The Falie Ketch – Mclaren Wharf
WHO ARE WE?
Illuminart are a team of artists who bring communities together to experience incredible, after dark light shows. Our mission is to bring the art of storytelling to light, and to bring people together to share the experience of stories created about your own local place. Every production aspires to move people, to create magic, and to craft a digital legacy that live alongside memories of the events.
In 2016 illuminart began working on their own large scale production, Port to Port… building a series of digital stories with communities all around SA. The stories have featured local artists, history, tall tales, natural riches and colourful themes.
Illuminart have collected hundreds of stories, which have been lovingly crafted into family friendly animated art, ready for projection. Our team are now preparing to take the entire collection of animated stories on tour, to all the cities, towns and regions who have participated.
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
Illuminart have been working on this project since 2013, with the help of various grants, partnerships and community connections around SA. For more information about our 5 year long project (so far) visit http://porttoport.illuminart.com.au