illuminart and partners
Projection Art Odyssey
Coastal townships and connected regions, South Australia
August and September 2019
TRAVELLING LIGHT: illuminart has roved regional South Australia in a unique odyssey, in a vehicle specially equipped with high powered projectors… touring over 2000 kilometres to share projection art storytelling with South Australians.
See the blog posts about our tour here:
First Leg: Port Pirie to Cowell: https://illuminart.com.au/blog/travelling_light_part1/
Second Leg: Elliston to Whyalla: https://illuminart.com.au/blog/travelling_light_part2/
Residents were astounded to see their Silos, Town halls or big walls lit and writ large for a single night, with bold colourful artwork and stories collected over years of preparation for this touring production, in shows crafted especially for each event.
Presented during the 2019 SALA the South Australian Living Artists Festival, the tour invited all to “enjoy your arts and heritage, rug up and enjoy a special winter event: TRAVELLING LIGHT will be coming to a town near you.”
WHERE WAS TRAVELLING LIGHT?
During the tour we presented a stunning projection show that changed in each location and grew along the way, connecting people and places, Ports and trade routes. Scroll down for information about each stop.
There were 17 stops along the route, where a landmark was illuminated by projection stories traded across South Australia.
The projection show featured animation about South Australia’s maritime and coastal heritage created by animators and artists from South Australia – it was a great way to discover more about SA! Some places also arranged for a workshop to be held or a story to be created especially, and artwork contributed to be ‘blown up’ as large as possible.
The tour is also helping to commemorate the Falie Ketch turning 100 this year and the Finale will be in September at the Falie itself -more news about this will be posted soon.
- Friday 2nd August 6pm-7:30pm – Port Pirie – Silos (view from Flinders View Park)
- Saturday 3rd August 6pm-7:30pm- Minlaton – Town Hall (view from Fifth Street)
- Sunday 4th August 6pm-7:30pm – Booleroo Centre – Silos (South side, facing swimming pool)
- Monday 5th August 6pm-7:30pm – Cowell – Silos (viewing area is north side, near the Oval)
- Tuesday 6th August 6pm-7:30pm – Elliston – Silos (viewing area is inside the Elliston Caravan Park)
- Thursday 8th August 6pm-7:30pm – Ceduna – Silos (viewing area is near corner of Thevenard Road and Martin Street)
- Friday 9th August 6pm-7:30pm- Streaky Bay – Institute – Exterior facade of the Institute Building on Alfred Terrace
- Saturday 10th August 6pm-7:30pm- Whyalla- Ship – (viewing from inside the Whyalla Visitor Information Centre & Maritime Centre)
- Friday 16th August 6pm-7:30pm – Wallaroo – Silos (from the Wharf side)
- Saturday 17th August 6pm-7:30pm – Quorn – Silos (from park area next to Pichi Richi Train Station)
- Sunday 18th August 6pm-7:30pm – Port Augusta – Yarta Purtli facade, Gladstone Square
- Monday 19th August 6pm-7:30pm – Wilmington – Side of town hall – (view from Angas Terrace, Wilmington)
- Thursday 22nd August 6pm-7:30pm – Beachport – (exterior, Old Wool and Grain Store Museum)
- Friday 23rd August 6pm-7:30pm – Mount Gambier – Railways Park (view from inside Mount Gambier Railway Lands, viewing the Fuel tanks located between Wehl Street and Elisabeth Street)
- Sunday 25th August 6pm-7:30pm – Goolwa – Wharf – (view from parking area near the Spirit Australia Cruise Centre)
- Wednesday 28th August 6pm-7:30pm – Cape Jervis Lighthouse – (view from Flinders Drive, close to base of the lighthouse east face)
- Friday 30th August 6:30pm-9pm – City of Onkaparinga – Aldinga Uniting Church – (view from the church grounds, old coach road)
- 27th – 29th September Port Adelaide – The Falie Ketch – Mclaren Wharf – details to be announced soon
Do also visit the Permanent projections if you are travelling by. These are:
Karoonda Silo Art, Main highway, Karoonda – on every night from sunset for 3 hours.
Story Wall at the State Library of South Australia – every night until midnight
Victa Cinema Projection, Ocean Street in Victor Harbor – every night for 3 hours.
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
Illuminart have been working on this project since 2013, with the help of various grants, partnerships and community connections around SA. For more information about our 5 year long project (so far) visit http://porttoport.illuminart.com.au
Illuminart are a team of artists who bring communities together to experience incredible, after dark light shows. Our mission is to bring the art of storytelling to light, and to bring people together to share the experience of stories created about your own local place. Every production aspires to move people, to create magic, and to craft a digital legacy that live alongside memories of the events.
In 2016 illuminart began working on their own large scale production, Port to Port… building a series of digital stories with communities all around SA. The stories have featured local artists, history, tall tales, natural riches and colourful themes.
Illuminart have collected hundreds of stories, which have been lovingly crafted into family friendly animated art, ready for projection. Our team are now preparing to take the entire collection of animated stories on tour, to all the cities, towns and regions who have participated.