Co-production (Country Arts SA, Rising Damp Youth Arts, illuminart, Bathurst Memorial Entertainment Centre).
Hybrid theatre project
Kumuwuki/Big Wave, Goolwa, Mt Gambier, Bathurst
2012, 2013, 2014
“Black” : a Ruby award winning theatre show that has been presented in Goolwa during the 2012 National Regional Arts Conference Artistic Program; Mt Gambier SA in 2013, and in 2014 in Bathurst NSW.
“Black” is theatre, but not in a theatre. The show takes place via bus travel to various locations, and through online and phone interactions.
Ado is a celebrated young man with talent and choice who, according to his family and friends, is at the pinnacle of his potential. So what’s happened and where has he gone?
Charge your mobile, friend Ado on facebook and travel on a bus to visit places where he lives and plays, interacting with him along the way. Will you get to meet and intercept him or will he continually stay just out of reach?
The real world of a country town is dubbed, daubed and overlaid with the symbols, images and memes that give you, the audience, clues to Ado, his life, associations and inner most thoughts.
“Black” is steeped in ambiguity and fluidity of time delivering you information from the past, present and future. Operatic in scale and emotion this new immersive semi – site specific performance installation work is imaginatively visceral and wholly affecting.
“If There Was A Colour Darker Than Black I’d Wear It” is proudly supported by Country Arts SA through its Performance Development program and has been made possible through the financial assistance of the Australia’s Council Theatre Board and Arts SA’s Major Festival Commission Funding Program. The 2014 presentation was supported by Bathurst Regional Council and the Smashed Arts program.
- Steve Mayhew Creative Producer
- Cindi Drennan Co-director / Projection artist / Co-producer
- Stu Nankivell Animator
- Jess Foster Co-director / Actor /Co-producer
- John Crouch Co-director / Actor
- Gavin Clarke Co-director / Actor / Choreographer
- Steve Tilling Technical Director
- Joel Pather Arian Fulgin (virtual)
- Monica Hart Stage Manager (Goolwa / Mt Gambier)
- Donald Pearce Technical Support (Bathurst)
- Bec Russell Technical Support (bathurst)
- Peta Johnson Co-producer (Bathurst)
- Shem Purdy Adrian Fulgin (Bathurst)
- Will Treddinick Brett "Nugget" Nuggins (Bathurst)
- Henry Simmons Projection Artist (Bathurst)
- James Arrow Videographer / Director (Bathurst)
- Craig Laurendet Documentation
- Tyson Hopprich (DJ Tr!P) Sound Design
- Chris Petridis Lighting Design
Project ID # 1002