illuminart + BANC
Presented in Autumn 2021
Blue Mountains residents were invited to help “grow” a light and projection display to collectively share the community spirit through messages of hope and courage. Contributions to the projection were welcomed in the form of words, poetry, a photo, drawing or artwork. The contributions were compiled into a sequence of hopeful animations and moving image artworks, representing our collective hope to continue working together and supporting each other during times ahead.
The project was developed through partnership between illuminart and the Blackheath Area Neighbourhood Centre in response to the 2019/2020 bushfires. Local Schools – Blackheath Primary and Megalong Valley Primary School – participated in the project.
Local illustrators from the Blume illustrator network, participated in the project contributing images of hope and inspiration.
Three local illustrators – Faye Wilson, Chloe McNamara and Tessa Bunton – were engaged in paid training roles to develop animation skills.
Blue Mountains Breathing Space has been made possible through the support of Blackheath Area Neighbourhood Centre, The Blue Mountains City Council and illuminart. Our project has been supported by the NSW Government through Destination NSW’s 2020 Regional Event Fund program.
- Verity Brookes Creative Producer
- Alice Peacock Lead Animator
- Chloe McNamara Illustrator and Mentee Animator
- Faye Wilson Illustrator and Mentee Animator
- Tessa Bunton Illustrator and Mentee Animator
- Zero Shaw Animator
- Andy Petrusevics Animator
- Andy McIntyre Technical Project Manager
- Cindi Drennan Projection Designer
- Mark Leacy Technical Project Manager
- Craig Laurendet Technical Project Manager
In the Media
Project ID # 1230Project Type: