Victor Harbor has a close relationship with whales; Primarily Southern Right whales, also Blue Whales, Humpbacks, Sperm Whales and Orca are known to visit the Harbor annually to give birth, and are central to the town’s tourist industry.
Illuminart have been commissioned to celebrate the launch of the permanent projector by creating the first animation designed especially to grace this gorgeous architectural canvas. The result is a mesmerising and magical digital animation to inspire and excite whale watchers of all ages.
In a seamless shift of context and location, atmospheric effervescence and covert costume changes allow regular whales in familiar waters to evolve into cosmic space-whales blazing through the stars in a psychedelic swirl of mind bending majesty!
The permanent projection system has been developed by illuminart and Mosaic AV, to use the historic facade of the art deco cinema on the main street of Victor Harbor, which turns out to be well suited to projected graphics. The city is now in the final stages of installing the new projection system that will be a unique first in regional South Australia, and which illuminart will support with graphics and training support for local digital artists.
Look out for the official launch date, set for mid September.
- Cindi Drennan, Projection design
- Luku Kukuku, Animation design
- Fowler's Bay Whale Tours, Audio source
- Samantha Ray, Sound design
- Alister Ferguson (Wildthings Creative), Animation support
- Vivienne Holloway, Producer, City of Victor Harbor
- Craig Williams (Mosaic AV), Technical Director
- Zero, Projection mapping
- David Read, Project Manager, City of Victor Harbor
- Whale Centre, City of Victor Harbor, Subject matter advice