Inspired by St Matthew’s Passion (Bach) and The Little Match Girl Passion (Lang), Hopes Passion is new music theatre vocal work that explores the torturous emotional journey from the hope of ambition – into devastation – and through to renewed hope. Created in collaboration between illuminart and Adelaide Vocal Project, the performance explores the history, heritage and unique resonant qualities of the Queens Theatre.
The Queen’s Theatre is a place of national, state and local heritage significance and its colourful and chequered history is a rich source of tales taking us from its beginnings as the first purpose-built theatre on mainland Australia in 1841 to the present, nearly 175 years later. The project combines extraordinary vocal performance by AVP composed by Anne Cawrse, Projection art, immersive design by illuminart with collaborators Frame VR.
During creative development: rehearsing and performing parts of the score within the spaces of Queens Theatre.
- Jo Pike, Creative Producer / AVP Co-director
- Timothy Sexton, Music Director / AVP Co-director
- Cindi Drennan, Visual artist / Director
- Luku Kukuku, Visual artist / Unity Designer
- Caleb Lewis, Narrative Consultant
- Adelaide Vocal Project, Ensemble Performers
- Tom Heuzenroeder, Sound Design
- Frame VR, VR Consultant
- Anne Cawrse, Composer
- Andy Packer, Writer
- Rowan Lee, Electronics Design
- Steve Tilling, Logistic and Technical Support
- Aaron Herczeg, AV Assistance and Photography
- Marty Hopkins, Videography
- Kyle McLean, Interactive Content
- Lorraine Marter, Seamstress
- Terry Marter, Crew member
- Michael Selge, Videography